Atom is a 2026 superhero film featuring the DC Comics hero of the same name. It is the twenty-fourth film in the DCEU, and the second film in Phase 4. It was released on May 22, 2026.
Dr. Ray Palmer is experimenting with white dwarfstar that recently landed on Earth. Through its properties, its supposed to make things shrink, but when Ray tries to use it on anything, it blows up. However, during a cave in when he and his friends go exploring, Ray decides to use the dwarfstar lenses he created and actually shrinks through his metagene. With this, Ray decides to become a hero named Atom, where he battles a strange array of villains, including his nemesis, Chronos.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Atom/Dr. Raymond Palmer
- Lily Collins as Jean Loring
- Tom Hanks as Professor Alpheus J. Hyatt
- Neil Patrick as Chronos/David Clinton
- Armie Hammer as Hawkman/Carter Hall
Atom received very positive reviews from critics and audiences. "While Stanton's other live action works didn't exactly reach satisfactory levels, Stanton manages to do excellently with the character of Atom and do something interesting with the superhero film." Many praised the writing, plot, music, performances, and surreal use of time travel in the film. However, some felt Gordon-Levitt was miscast in the lead role.
- When DC was searching for people to helm the movie, Brad Bird suggested his old colleague from Pixar, Andrew Stanton. Even though he worked on the rather negatively received John Carter, he was praised for his TV work on Stranger Things, Better Call Saul and Legion, as well as his animated work.
- It was originally supposed to be released in late June, but thanks to the acclaim of Captain Comet, and post-production being pretty much finished, it was pushed to late May.